PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Late April and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Quartet Records presents an expanded and remastered edition of Stephen Sondheim’s elegant, charming score for Alain Resnais’ 1974 French classic Stavisky, starring JeanPaul Belmondo, Anny Duperey, Michel Lonsdale and Charles Boyer.
The plot centers on an irresistibly charming and talented small-time swindler, Serge Alexandre (alias Stavisky) who befriends some of the most influential members of the French industrial and political elite during the early 1930s. But nothing lasts forever, and when his great scam involving hundreds of millions of francs is exposed, the result is an unprecedented scandal that leads to political upheaval and almost causes a civil war.
The film is also famous for being the only full-orchestra score composed by Stephen Sondheim, one of the most important and recognized figures on the Broadway musical scene. Although he has composed songs and themes for other movies (Reds, Dick Tracy, The Birdcage), Stavisky is his only full-length film score. The music, brilliantly orchestrated by Jonathan Tunick, has a chamber orchestra-like texture and resists any grand symphonic gestures or climaxes. It features numerous waltzes as well as two delightful period pastiches.
The soundtrack album of Stavisky was released by C.A.M in Italy, and licensed to Polydor in France and RCA in the U.S.A. Subsequently, C.A.M released the CD edition twice, but only with the album program. For this new edition, mastered by Claudio Fuiano, we went back to the first-generation master tapes, courtesy of Gruppo Sugar, and offer the remastered album plus 20 minutes of previously unreleased tracks, having now the most complete edition of this distinguished score. The CD package includes a 16-page full-color booklet with detailed liner notes by Frank K. DeWald.
1. Générique (Main Title) (2:09)
2. Au “Claridge” 1 (At The Claridge #1) (2:32)
3. Arlette le jour (Arlette by Day) (1:58)
4. Concours d’elégance (Auto Show) (1:27)
5. La Vie facile (The Easy Life) (1:35)
6. Le Bureau la nuit (The Office at Night) (2:07)
7. Erna (Erna) (2:15)
8. Passé lointain (Distant Past) (1:39)
9. Arlette la nuit (Arlette by Night) (3:14)
10. L’Aéroport de Biarritz (Airport at Biarritz) (2:16)
11. Trotsky à Saint-Palais (Trotsky at Saint-Palais) (2:12)
12. Montalvo à Biarritz (Montalvo at Biarritz) (0:40)
13. Opérette (Operetta) (1:34)
14. Arlette et Alexandre (Arlette and Alexandre) (2:00)
15. Passé proche (Recent Past) (1:48)
16. Au “Claridge” 2 (At The Claridge #2) (2:12)
17. L’appartement au “Claridge”(Suite at The Claridge) (1:09)
18. La Maison du père (Father’s House) (3:21)
19. Adieu Arlette (Goodbye Arlette) (1:27)
20. Le “Vieux Logis” à Chamonix (Hideout at Chamonix) (1:22)
21. ... A la recherche d’Erna (Erna Remembered) (1:25)
22. Le Futur (The Future) (1:03)
23. Les Femmes et la mort (Women and Death) (1:51)
24. Final (End Title) (1:59)
Bonus Tracks and Alternates
25. Générique (Long Version) (2:44)
26. Arlette le jour (Short Version) (1:15)
27. Le “Vieux Logis” à Chamonix (Alt. Take) (1:30)
28. Arlette le jour (Alt. Take) (0:49)
29. Arlette la nuit (Alt. Take) (2:26)
30. Passé lointain (Alt. Take) (1:43)
31. Trotsky à Saint-Palais (Short Version) (0:49)
32. ... A la recherche d’Erna (Alt. Take) (1:55)
33. Le “Vieux Logis” à Chamonix (Alt. Take) (1:52)
34. Passé proche (Alt. Take) (2:01)
35. Trotsky à Saint-Palais (Alt. Take) (1:22)
36. Montalvo à Biarritz (Alt. Take) (0:54)
37. Final (Long Version) (2:27)
Total Disc Time: 68:11
LIMITED EDITION OF 500 UNITS.