PLEASE NOTE: This item has a planned release for Mid December and is only available for PRE-ORDER at this time.
Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
1. Orders are not shipped until complete. If you wish to receive in-stock items prior to pre-ordered items, you must place separate orders.
2. Release dates are subject to change. All dates are estimates and subject to manufacturer revisions beyond our control.
3. Order modifications. Orders can be canceled and items removed upon request. We are unable to add additional items to pending orders.
4. Payment details. Credit cards are pre-authorized but not captured until we ship the order. Check or PayPal payments are required at time of order.
Quartet Records is proud to celebrate the tenth anniversary of J.A. Bayona’s horror cult-classic The Orphanage with a newly recorded, complete edition of the score composed by Fernando Velázquez. The Orphanage was the first collaboration between director and composer, a partnership that has continued in such modern classics as The Impossible and A Monster Calls
It may seem unusual that a barely ten-year-old score is being rerecorded, but giving The Orphanage a second chance to shine is an undertaking of which Quartet Records is especially proud. This tenth-anniversary edition includes every note Fernando wrote for the film in its original conception to give fans a bold, new take on a modern classic. The original soundtrack album was negotiated and signed off before the recordings were made, and while Fernando wasn’t quite satisfied with the performance, the album had to be released nonetheless. It was a problematic recording, without much possibility of correcting mistakes (do not forget that The Orphanage was a low-budget fi lm). When the possibility of expanding the original 47-minute-long program was being discussed in early 2017, a review of the original multi-track recordings revealed that time hasn’t been kind to Velázquez’s first major score, so a new plan was formulated. The composer took it upon himself to revisit the project by doing a brand-new recording with the Euskadi Symphony Orchestra, the same ensemble he used for A Monster Calls, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Submergence and his “Concert Suites” album. By using one of his favorite orchestras and his usual recording engineer, Marc Blanes, whom he couldn’t use on his seminal score, Quartet Records and Fernando Velazquez present the same music he wrote a decade ago (including previously unrecorded alternates), using the know-how and skills he has gained in the past 10 years to bring fans a new recording of which we can all be proud.
This edition includes newly commissioned artwork by PosterSpy & Karl Fitzgerald. The package comes with a 16-page full-color booklet with liner notes by Gergely Hubai discussing the film and score, an essay by Spanish musical authority Luis Ángel de Benito, and statements by Fernando Velázquez and director J.A. Bayona.
1. Prologue (2:30)
2. Opening Titles (1:06)
3. A Magical Light (1:18)
4. The Shadow in the Cave (0:45)
5. Watson & Pepe (1:15)
6. Simon’s File (1:02)
7. My New Friends / A Noise in the Night (1:24)
8. The Shed / Shells on the Door (0:49)
9. The Treasure Game (1:50)
10. Party Day (4:26)
11. The Medal of San Antonio (1:39)
12. Grief Group (1:08)
13. Accident (1:50)
14. Tomás (2:09)
15. “Dos Kilillos” (1:57)
16. Leo Balaban (1:58)
17. A Regression (4:44)
18. Believe, Then You Will See (2:13)
19. Terrible Findings (1:56)
20. Alone in the House (3:21)
21. Wait, I Do Not Want to Hurt You (0:32)
22. Simon’s Little House (4:56)
23. Reunion and Finale (3:53)
24. End Titles (4:34)
25. Reunion and Finale (Alternate) (3:52)
26. Laura and Carlos at the Piano (1:38)
27. Main Theme (Chorus) (2:52)
Total Disc Time: 62:22